So, on a mission to find the perfect combination and delight both to the eye and the taste buds, I set about searching the internet for inspiration. By combining the results of my internet searching, with my mum's recipe for sweet crust pastry, I created my very own star mince pies, you can enjoy them too by following the recipe below.
The recipe is simple:
8oz Plain Flour
4oz Butter or Stork if you prefer
1. In either a free standing mixer or by hand, rub the flour and butter together (it should resemble breadcrumbs).
2. Mix in the sugar
3. Add the egg and mix until it has become a soft dough, if you need to add a little milk you can do.
4. Pop in the fridge for an hour to firm slightly to make it easier to roll out, this can also be made a day ahead an kept in the fridge.
5. Once firmer you can start to roll out, using plenty of flour so it doesn't stick to the surface or rolling pin. First of all take your round pastry cutter or if you don't have one a glass will do and just rub in a little flour, this will prevent it sticking to the cookie cutter/glass.
6. Cut out your circles and place in a baking tin, then do the same with the stars. Place a teaspoon of mincemeat into each of your round and then place a star on top, gently pressing down.
7. Place in a oven on 200c for about 8-10 minutes checking towards the end to ensure they don't burn. They should be a nice golden colour all over. Once cooled slightly remove from the tin, I find using a spoon the easiest way. Place on a cooling rack to cool and then sprinkle with some icing sugar.
And voila, beautiful star mince pies perfect for family, friends and the big man himself.
Merry Christmas to all my readers.