As I have a bit of a sweet tooth, I have been trying to find some more gluten free cake and biscuit recipes, so when I came across this one I knew I could adapt it and make it something special.
If you love coconut and almonds with a little chocolate chip hit then these are for you, they are kind of like a macaroon with a biscuit twist, everyone in the family loved them, including my normally coconut avoiding children.
Ingredients - Makes 12
140g Ground Almonds
30g Chocolate Chips (I used Milk Choc)
40g Dessicated Coconut
½ tsp Baking Powder
¼ tsp Salt
75g Soft Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp Coconut Oil
½ Tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 180c, line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Mix the ground almonds, desiccated coconut, baking powder, chocolate chips, salt and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until evenly mixed.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg until smooth and it has doubled in size, then mix in the coconut oil and vanilla essence.
- Add the egg mixture to the dry mixture and mix well until everything is combined, then cover with cling film and pop into the fridge for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, take out of the fridge, take a small amount, roughly a heaped teaspoon and roll into a ball in the palm of your hands, pop onto the baking tray and flatten slightly with the back of a fork.
- Bake in the oven for about 8-10 or until the edges are golden brown.
These are a great store cupboard cookie, I always have a bag or two of ground almonds now for my brownies or finding new recipes like this.